Baking meatballs in an air fryer is a quick and convenient method. To make air fryer meatballs, preheat it to 175°C-190°C (350°F-375°F) then bake in 10 minutes. Here’s a simple step-by-step guide.
What is meatballs?
There are several ways of cooking meatballs depending on personal preference and cultural variations. Meatballs can be cooked in the oven, pan-fried in a skillet, slow-cooked in a sauce, pressure-cooked, air-fried, braised, or even grilled. Each cooking method also imparts a unique texture and taste to the meatballs.
There are numerous meatballs styles around the world. Some examples include:
- Italian meatballs: These are basically a combination of ground beef, pork, or veal, mixed with breadcrumbs, cheese, herbs like parsley and basil, and sometimes soaked in marinara sauce.
- Swedish meatballs: These meatballs are typically made with a blend of ground beef and pork, mixed with breadcrumbs, onions, allspice, and nutmeg. They are commonly served with a creamy gravy sauce and lingonberry jam.
- Turkish kofta: Kofta is a type of meatball found in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines. It generally includes ground lamb or beef mixed with onions, garlic, herbs, and spices like cumin, coriander, and paprika.
Meatballs can be enjoyed in various ways. Certainly they are a luscious appetizer with dipping sauces as well as a main course accompanied by pasta, rice, or vegetables. Meatballs are often served with sauces such as gravy, tomato sauce, marinara, or teriyaki sauce to enhance their flavor.
Air fryer meatballs
To make air fryer meatballs, preheat it to 175°C-190°C (350°F-375°F). Lower heat results in juicier meatballs, while higher heat makes them crispier. Place meatballs in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Bake the meatballs for approximately 8 minutes, shake, then bake in 2 more minutes. During this time, the meatballs will reach an internal temperature that ensures they are fully cooked at around 70°C (160°F).
Let the meatballs rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows them to retain their juiciness and prevents burning yourself with hot meat.
Below’s an easy 5-ingredients Italian inspired recipe you can follow for a yummy homemade meatballs:
- 450g (1 pound) ground beef (or a combination of meats)
- 20g (1/4 cup) Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 13g (1/4 cup) chopped onions
- 1 large egg
- 4g (1 tablespoon) chopped parsley
- Spices: ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Step 1. In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, cheese, chopped onions and parsley, egg and spices together. Gently mix them until well combined. Avoid overmixing, as it can result in tougher meatballs.
Step 2. Preheat your air fryer to 175°C-190°C (350°F-375°F). Lower heat results in juicier meatballs, while higher heat makes them crispier. While waiting for preheat, start step 3.
Step 3. Scoop the meat mixture with a tablespoon or small cookie dough scoop and roll it into meatballs. You can roll it by hands too. Each ball should be approximately 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter.
Step 4. Place the meatballs in a single layer in the air fryer basket, leaving some space between them for proper air circulation. You may need to cook them in batches depending on the size of your air fryer. If desired, lightly coat the air fryer basket with olive oil or cooking spray to prevent sticking. This step is optional, as some air fryer baskets have a non-stick coating.
Step 5. Insert the basket into the air fryer and set the timer to 10 minutes to bake. Bake the meatballs for approximately 8 minutes, shake, then bake in 2 more minutes.
Step 6. Let the meatballs rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows them to retain their juiciness and prevents burning yourself with hot meat.
Enjoy your homemade air-fried meatballs! You can enjoy this dish on its own or added to your favorite sauce, pasta, or sandwiches. Feel free to adjust the seasonings and spices according to your taste preferences.
P/s: It's always a good idea to consult your air fryer's manual for specific guidelines.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 500mgCarbohydrates: 10gNet Carbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 20g